Saturday, August 02, 2008

my neighbourhood...

'Photographers deal in things which are continually vanishing and when they have vanished there is no contrivance on earth which can make them come back again.' Henri Cartier Bresson
Maybe it's this quote that has impacted me most and given me the strongest drive since I took up photography a few years ago; it's most regrettable when your most "familiar" place and people suddenly went away and you realized that you don't even have a good picture to bring back the memories...

"an old lady, oaklands path"
Warm or cold, sunny or rainy, nothing was more certain than that I would see this old lady in the morning, standing at her door step, watching the world go by, greeting her old friends that might be getting fewer and fewer...


"a local shoe store, queen's road west"
It's after nine o'clock as I trudged past this local shoe store on my way home. Queen's Road West isn't a busy shopping street and most shops would be closed after eight except a few small food shops (http://www.pbase.com/hpicckcy/image/93017931). I was surprised to find that this shoe store was still open; questions kept coming to my mind at the same time as I tried to get a shot...


"going home together, bonham road"


"progress... first & second street"
I'm not against progress but how much I wish I could have taken a few photographs of the original low-rise buildings before they were demolished...


"aging..."
Across the road of the Urban Renewal Authority development site (above) are these low-rise buildings, which might be too "new" to attract the attention of the Urban Renewal Authority yet have been deteriorating quickly...


"a wet summer night... second street"


"ah chi co."
A banal everyday scene of this old established district (eastern street)... I recall buying from this baby's necessities shop, when our son was a baby, but that was 17 years ago.


"babington path & honiton road"
A fun shot to wrap up this little series (for the time being) - a self portrait, sort of, and portrait of my daugher who's seldom willing to stay still and pose for me...:-)

(Click the image to view the larger version.)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hugo,
i'm the co-founder of hybridsnicks magazine, lets just say your photo's are amazing! We would love to do an interview with you.

http://hybridsnick.wordpress.com

6:47 PM  
Blogger hugo poon said...

Oh Princesse, you're much too kind! I'll be more than happy to share my story with you.:-)

Best regards,
Hugo

5:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home